Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I thought about trying to keep my wedding ideas fairly hush-hush so that those of you readers who will also be guests would be "shocked and awed" upon arrival, but I'm sure I couldn't keep it all under wraps for over a year.

Before we begin, I'd like to throw out some words that relate to the effect I'm going for:
drama
glamour
sleek
colorful
modern
striking

#1, the most important decision: location. I'm really into the aquarium. Check out their evening rental site. I'm going back and forth by email with the coordinator there. Hopefully it works out. Once the location is set, the colors and style elements will fall into place. Sharks= sleek, dramatic, and striking (although not modern, quite an ancient taxon). At the GFS, it would have been peacock feathers galore, but at the aquarium I'd do blue and green with bright tropical flowers. Some I had in mind:

Heliconia. In fact, you don't see the flower at all. Those are the sepals. I like the spikyness factor. It's edgy (like my former hamster), high drama, sleek, striking, etc. You might wonder where I got the idea for this flower. Wegmans! They had two or three stems in a rectangular chunky glass vase with some stones in the bottom. I think that might be my centerpiece right there.

Bird of Paradise. Another spiky one. Still very cool, but its a little smaller, so not quite as dramatic. I think more affordable, though. I'm fairly certain I could make my own stylish centerpieces using wholesale flowers, but will probably go with a florist for the bouquets and boutonnières.

With all this "economical" and "affordable" talk, you might think it won't be the most awesome wedding ever. That would be where you'd be wrong. Excess money from stuff like flowers and DJ's (I'm going to get someone from Penn to be an iPod DJ) is going to a kick-ass location, super tasty food (filet mignon, anyone?), and full open bar. We just have very clearly defined priorities. Speaking of which, a very yummy chocolate cake as well. Chocolate cake, which I'll have to give up eating for a while if I want to look good in a dress that looks something like this:
Va-va-va-voom! I'd say it fits all of my adjectives except for "colorful." I'd like to drop 10 pounds/1 dress size, which is entirely reasonable given that I have over one year. I like satin, which can be hard to wear and not look rotund. By the way, this style of dress (fitted past the hips, then flared) is called a mermaid, which totally fits the underwater theme. Fortunately it has a normal bodice instead of seashells.

While Ryan is big on the planning details, it turns out he's not as into the decorations/attire. He just wants to dress like James Bond for a day. I guess that's good, though, as he won't interfere with my decorating and it would be a little too weird if he was psyched about choosing flowers.

On a completely unrelated note, my advanced stats prof asked me today if I'd like to TA basic stats in the fall. I'm in high demand!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh- the Aquarium looks really cool, and the "mermaid style" dress would definitely go well with the theme! :D I like the colorful flowers idea too- it balances out the blue water and slightly dark rooms.

Anonymous said...

I showed some people here at work the aquarium page and they thought it was really cool- or especially they thought it was cool that the aquarium even offered something like that. :)

Jen said...

This goes without saying, but I definitely like the aquarium idea because it's really unique and not at all boring or stuffy. Would that be for the reception or the actual wedding ceremony? It would be cool to walk down the aisle with everyone sitting at the sides of the tunnel.

Ya know, you're starting to sound like one of those girly girls who have been planning their wedding since the age of 5! I never thought I'd see the day...

So it's definitely going to be over a year then? I coulda sworn you were saying later this year (psst! do it before I move to California for residency so I don't have to fly! :-)

Speaking of Cali...have fun in San Diego, you lucky, lucky girl. BTW, I can give you Jamie's contact info if you don't have it already and want to hang for a bit.