Saturday, June 16, 2007

There's a new application on Facebook called Catbook...so you can become friends with the kitties if you want. I understand if you want to meet them in person first.

I forget if I ever mentioned that I have a weak wireless signal from the neighbors on the island. I haven't had to go to the library, although it does cut out from time to time.

I got some very exciting and encouraging results from my experiment in progress today, even though it's a different type of data than I plan to collect at the end. Remember the cages with the old versus new seaweed? Well, the point of the experiment is to see how the snails INSIDE the cages grow on the various diets. Checking up on the cages today, however, there were tons of snails on the OUTSIDE of the old seaweed cages, whereas there were almost none on the new seaweed cages. My hypothesis was that the old seaweed would be preferred because its chemical defenses are breaking down as it decomposes. Makes sense, right? Although as humans we would prefer fresher salad to slimy rotten salad. Anyhow, no one has tested this sort of hypothesis with seaweed (as far as I've read), so with further experiments (i.e. other thesis work) I might have a shot at some good journals and get my name out there for something new. Yay!

Of course I'm jumping years ahead here, but the differences between the treatments were so drastic that there has to be some interesting biology going on. Today just might have been my best day of grad school so far :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.