Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I broke my promise; I am back in Maine and didn't take any garden pics while I was home. Here is the verbal description of how things are growing (probably more for my future reference than your enjoyment, unless you are a garden stalker).

Strawberries are pretty much done for the year. If it weren't for all the excessive rain there would've been at least twice as many. Note to self: move downspout before next spring and be sure to re-mulch and remove old leaves before they rot.

Raspberries: half of the the plant I got at Lowe's this spring has tiny green berries on it and the other half turned brown and died. The plant that I planted in spring 2008 is lush and green and much larger than last year, but no berries.

Carrots: growing much faster than last year. The soil/sun exposure/Nitrogen-rich fertilizer in their new spot must have helped. They should be ready to harvest in July (as opposed to September last year). I'm going to have Ryan seed another round as soon as some other plants are out of the way.

Peas, peas, and more peas. The snow peas matured earliest (early June), but now seem to have a second wave that will be ripe at the very end of June. The snap peas started coming in mid-June, and are probably pretty much done by now. I ate a lot while I was home. Big success, and big plants- they were about 6 feet tall before falling over under their own weight. The shelled peas matured at the same time as the snap peas, but the pods only had 5-6 peas each. Not really worth the effort/space when frozen peas are so cheap at the store. So I won't be doing those next year.

Green beans: the easiest thing in the world to grow. I put them in the worst section of the garden (least sun, worst soil) and they're still doing great. The first mature beans arrived in mid-June and we had them with dinner a few nights while I was down.

Onions: they took off fast in May but look kinda whimpy now. They probably need more sun...hopefully there will be more sunny days as we move into July.

Broccoli: matured during the first two weeks in June. A bunch of caterpillars climbed up in the later-maturing heads...hard to get all of them out. Next year: cover broccoli with floating row cover as soon as heads start to form. But in general, another successful broccoli crop.

Soybeans: in place of the broccoli I put about 20 soybean plants. I started the seedlings on my trip home in early June, then transplanted them last weekend. I started another set of seedlings that Ryan will transplant for me once there's room. Edamame...yum!

Lettuce/spinach/mixed greens: they had a good run but are getting close to their expiration date. The spinach and most of the mixed greens have bolted (gone to seed). The lettuce are still okay for now. I told Ryan to eat most of the rest of it in the next week or two, then the new soybean seedlings will get transplanted to the old lettuce real estate.

Pumpkins/yellow squash: the plants are growing rapidly and there were some immature buds before I left. I expect mature squash starting in July and pumpkins starting in August. This year I planted carving-size pumpkins rather than the mini ones. Depending on how many we get, I may try making pumpkin pie from super-scratch (I have only used canned pumpkin before). Pumpkins keep for a long time under the proper conditions, so we'll use them for Halloween decorations.

Honeydew melons/watermelon: the plants are about a foot long now. Hopefully fruit in late July?

Phantom crop of the year (I didn't plant on purpose, but grew anyway): potatoes! I obviously missed a few while digging up last year's potatoes. I let them grow and they should be mature in a few weeks. Ryan will be planting additional potatoes where the snap and snow peas are right now.

Peaches: there are 6 peaches remaining on the tree out of the 20-ish that were there in May. 6 is probably a good number considering the size of the tree and the fact that I planted it last year and the catalog said it should fruit in 2-3 years.

Apple/hazelnut trees: no fruit/nuts this year, but that's to be expected...all the trees weren't supposed to fruit until 2-3 years. Guess I just have some prodigal peaches. The apple tree is very skinny and tall, whereas the hazelnuts are short and bushy. The peach tree is right in between, medium height and full-bodied.

1 comment:

tes said...

Be sure to check up on what kind of pumpkin/squash you should use for pie/cooking. I once made pumpkin soup from a carving pumpkin and it really wasn't good, but then made it again with Hokkaido squash and it was fantastic. Don't know about pies though - my mom said she tried it once (with a carving pumpkin) and it was a ton of work for a similar result to the canned stuff - maybe you'll have better luck, though. :-)