Sunday, January 28, 2007

Yesterday was a most informative and educational experience. Ryan and I went in to center city with the plan to 1) browse store fronts along Jeweler's Row (my idea), 2) see the Liberty Bell, and 3) go ice skating at the outdoor rink along the Delaware River.

Browsing the jewelry store fronts was fun, but outside the store that had the most engagement rings in the window, a salesman popped out and asked if we were looking for anything in particular. I tried to give us an out by saying, "Oh, just giving him ideas for later." But the guy, being a very good salesman, persuaded us to go inside the store so I could try some on and decide exactly what I wanted.

It was fun, and when we emerged an hour later we were both diamond experts and know exactly what I want. And it fits within Ryan's budget, taking into account that we're buying a house this year. And it's decadently sparkly, at least according to my standards. So I can't wait to get it. I'm not going to tell all y'alls what it looks like; someone should be surprised at some point in this engagement deal. But the chances of Ryan surprising me with exactly my dream ring without any guidance would be less than the chances of kitten growing wings and flying away.

Oh yeah, then we walked to the Liberty Bell building and there was a decent line, and Ryan recalled that he had his pocket knife on him. I didn't want to wait in line if there was a possibility of just getting turned away at a security checkpoint (Ryan: "What am I going to do, stab the Liberty Bell to death?"), so we decided to save that for another day. Then we walked to the ice rink, but it was really crowded, and I've been spoiled in the past skating at Lynah, where there's no stumbling children, so we passed on that too. So the highlight of the day was definitely the ring shopping.

Last night Ryan called each of his parents to let them know what he was planning on doing. His mom suggested that even if it's not a surprise, he can still make it romantic (apparently that's what his parents tried to do). Ryan's still going to do some shopping around to make sure he's getting a good deal, and the ring will have to be custom-made, so I wouldn't hold your breath until late Feburary or early March. But considering how he told his parents and is currently feverishly hunting around online for diamonds, it's getting closer to a certainty. Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oohhh!! (You've heard the term giddy with excitement?!)

Anonymous said...

Sooo curious....!