Wednesday, July 04, 2007

It's the Fourth and I'm not at a themed birthday party! Sound the trumpets! Hehe, with this Maine thing I might be off the hook for a couple years. Ryan got out of it this year because his day off work is in the middle of the week.

For the Fourth I went to the beach. And the third, and the fifth, and the sixth, seventh, eighth... I worked during the day and then there was a public pig roast/potluck in the evening. Word was that there would be fireworks when it got dark (which would be about now), but it was getting boring after the food was gone because I only knew a couple people.

I believe I failed to note my 4 year blogiversary, which was last Sunday. Happy blogiversary to me, happy blogiversary to me, happy blogiversary dear Cat, happy blogiversary to me!

It makes me sad that so many blogs die out. I may bore you to tears, but I promise my blabber will go on until...well...a long time. I wouldn't go so far as "til death do we part," but how about for now I set a "short" term goal of six more years, to make it an even decade?

Hmm, would marriage constitute "Chapter Four"? I don't expect it to be all that different than living together. I think Chapter Four will have to wait until I'm out of school.

Speaking of marriage, I'm not sure what I want to do with my name. Options:
Cathar1ne El1zabeth H0ffman (unchanged)
Cathar1ne El1zabeth Dickers0n (traditional last name change)
Cathar1ne H0ffman Dickers0n (unhypenated: option to use either)

I have many conflicting thoughts on the subject:
1. I've gotten quite accustomed to it the way it is
2. It's long enough as it is with a 6 letter, 2 syllable last name
3. "Cat D1ckerson" is too many syllables
4. I've always been of the women's lib sort that don't think it's quite fair that the woman is the one who "has to" change
5. Then again, it would be nice to disassociate myself from my birth family as much as possible
6. If I didn't change it at all, I wouldn't have to mess with any paperwork (lazy)

At the moment, I'm actually leaning toward CED. Ryan thinks CHD is silly, like riding the fence instead of choosing a side. If it were as simple as "choosing a side," it'd definitely be CED, but it's weird once you actually think of something as immutable as your name being different than you've known it all your life.

2 comments:

Jen said...

My vote would be for H0ffman D1ckerson, for a few reasons:

1) With 2 last names, you can choose which you want to go by. You could even make it CDH, but I like the sound of CHD better. Plus, your initials would be the same as coronary heart disease...how dorky-cool is that?
2) It gives each name equal weight, symbolizing the equal partnership that your marriage will be. I prefer to think of it that way as opposed to being on the fence.
3) It's shorter than hyphenating since you can just abbreviate the middle one.

I'll be hyphenating mine for much of the same reasons, but mostly because I want to keep Rose as my middle name rather than replace it with a second last name. So if you're really attached to your middle name, you might consider hyphenating anyway.

Cat said...

I'm not attached to my middle name, luckily, because H0ffman-D1ckerson is waaay too long.

I like the point about "equal weight." Ryan doesn't really care that much, just thinks it doesn't make sense. Ok, now I'm leaning for CHD. Luckily I have almost a year to decide for sure.