Saturday, November 03, 2007

Every once in a while you get an interesting post: marriage, house, etc. Well, I guess you're overdue. I'm pregnant!

Right...kidding, of course. Couldn't resist the opportunity.

I guess I'll reveal the "mystery" I alluded to last post. In a nutshell, I have been clinically depressed for about the past four years. For most of the past year I was on an antidepressant that worked like a charm (with a few side effects, but better than being depressed). As happens to a lot of people, though, it just sorta stopped working. At the low point, I ended up sobbing in my advisor's office, in turn made him get teary-eyed, and he postponed my exam until I'm feeling back to myself. I'm now transitioning to a different medication, but it hasn't been long enough to tell if I'll be back to "normal."

At this point you may be thinking, "Aha! It makes sense!" I went from someone who'd stay at PSP parties until the very end to someone who got tired and cranky and needed to go to bed at 9:30. I had to stop going to weekly poker because playing a couple bad hands in a row would make me cry. I was filled with venomous hatred of working at the field station, and now I'm hating school, though last year was okay. Probably the worst symptom is the lack of interest in everything (save Ryan, kitties, and making "free" money). Aside from hating school, I'm not enjoying my free time, either.

In addition to loving Ryan a lot, it's a total no-brainer that I want to marry him because he's shown he's patient and supportive enough to put up with my "moods" for all this time. If he's wanted to stick with me through this, he'll be around through anything. That's why he's the best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better soon!!

(We love you!)

Jen said...

Ditto! And I'm glad you're not pregnant. :-p

Seriously, though, I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through, but I'm glad Ryan is supportive (not that I ever thought he wouldn't be, of course). I'm sure you know that medication changes can be extremely difficult, since most of them have an initial week of nasty side effects and then take 4-6 weeks to make you feel better. Feel free to ask me any questions...