Monday, August 20, 2007

I have a fever, and the only prescription is more...

plants! I've been bitten by the gardening bug. Something about those peppers set me off. And harvesting fresh basil and mint has been great, too. The whole idea of eating stuff that you grow yourself is neat. I did go to the Ag school, after all. Now I've got plans to make several more veggie beds in the backyard and side yard. I also ordered a dwarf citrus collection (mini lemon, lime, and orange trees that grow in pots) and 3 mini blueberry plants. Not all of those will fruit next year, but hopefully some will, and the rest will follow in 2009. The citrus trees get brought in during the winter and will make nice part-time houseplants.

Seeds I bought/ordered online:
Sweet Corn
Snap Peas
Lettuce
Spinach
Mixed greens
Carrots
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Brussels Sprouts
Green Beans
Turnips
Garlic
Watermelon
Honeydew

With the exception of the watermelon and honeydew, I'm going to try planting a little of everything else for a fall crop. The melons have a long growing season, so I'll save them for next year. I think it's mild enough here to grow everything else provided I start ASAP. And the cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauli, brussels) and turnips actually like cold weather and taste best after light frost. So, come end of October/early November, hopefully we'll be eating fresh veggies with dinner every night.

High time I found a hobby, and this one should pay for itself. Pics of my beds once I can get out to make them- it's been rainy the last 2 days.

In other news, I met with the photographers and florist. Both the photographers were awesome and really nice, so I feel bad turning one down, but I'm going with the cheaper one. Actually, ones! We get 2 photographers for the price of one, which is also a plus with the company I selected. They also came to our house for the consultation, which I thought was quite considerate and showed that "personal touch." Sounds like Weggies flowers are going to be reasonably priced as well, although I won't have the $$ quote until tomorrow, probably.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you found a good photographer(s)! Sounds like everything is really starting to come together... or at least the big things that need to be booked in advance.

Funny with the gardening- we just planted a bunch of herbs, even though they probably won't do much this time of year.... we'll see. (balcony boxes) Good luck with yours! :)