Sunday, February 24, 2008

Have you ever felt your life had a higher calling, but you weren't sure exactly what?

Do you like power trips?

Do you want a good story to add to your collection of life experiences?

Would you be comfortable reading and speaking in front of a group of approximately 75 people?

You know how on Friends, Joey married Monica and Chandler?

Do you want a cool thank-you gift that did not come from CVS?

Do you want to come to our rehearsal dinner?

That's right- it's legal in New Jersey and we are recruiting for someone we know to get ordained online and perform our ceremony. Getting ordained is free, and while you probably have to read some stuff and take a quiz, I doubt it would be too difficult. Or if you don't want to volunteer yourself, suggest someone else. Then we can all gang up on that person and force them to do it.

7 comments:

Jen said...

You mean like this?
http://www.universalministries.com/

It was the first one that came up on a Google search for "get ordained." Actually, upon skimming the site, it sounds a lot like Unitarian Universalism (the liberal church I joined here in med school). But I'm not the world's greatest public speaker, so I'd defer to someone who's better at it...

(Although if you still could use me as a musician, let me know so I can start practicing...)

Cat said...

Yay laid-back liberal denominations- yep, that was the sort of thing I saw too. We decided to get a DJ after all, so he will be taking care of the "necessary" music, although maybe a solo would be good to add something to the ceremony. Do you have any recommendations or favorites that would be suitable?

Anonymous said...

Cat!!!! It's Christ! Jen thought it would be fitting :) I think so too! So I'm in if you want me :)

Anonymous said...

But I'm a bit worried... what if this get ordained online for free is a scam? which ones are legit?

Cat said...

Yay! Now that we have a willing victi- er, volunteer, I will look into the matter to find a legit organization. I will give you a call soon, Christ :)

Jen said...

Well, if you're talking dulcimer, I play a combination of classical, folk, and Celtic stuff. It would depend on what part of the ceremony would be involved. For example, walking down the aisle would go with something classical with a nice slow beat. I think Pachelbel's Canon and Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring are overdone at weddings, but I have some great Bach pieces and even a Celtic one that would sound good. If you feel like it, try paging through my friend Marcy's repertoire list (http://mp-dulcimer.com/blog/repertoire/), and I can let you know if something on there would be learnable.

No hard feelings if dulcimer music doesn't fit into the ceremony, of course...and to be honest, I'm not sure how one isolated dulcimer song would go. I was thinking of something more like a prelude of 5-7 songs to play in the 10 min or so before the ceremony, if there would be room for that. Anyway, if it's something you might be interested in, I'd like to get started with practicing soon (and maybe send you some sound clips if I can get my act together). Let me know!

Anonymous said...

Man I'm super excited!! Ya, gimme a call and we can talk about the specifics. I don't mind dishing out some money to get ordained either... just make it reasonable. Awesome!